The McCandless Township Sanitary Authority was incorporated on December 30, 1955 for the purpose of providing sewage service for the Town of McCandless. In the early 1970's Franklin Park Borough, Bradford Woods Borough, Pine Township, Marshall Township and minor portions of Ross and Hampton Townships agreed to have properties within the above-mentioned municipalities, within the Pine Creek watershed, served by the Authority. Currently, the Authority services approximately 17,000 accounts consisting of approximately 52,000 customers. Our customers include residential, commercial, schools, colleges and hospitals. The Authority owns and operates a comprehensive sanitary sewer system which consists of four treatment plants, sixteen pumping stations and over 240 miles of 8" to 42" gravity sewer.
The Longvue No. 1 plant is a sequential batch reactor (SBR) treatment plant with a rated capacity of 1.95 million gallons per day (MGD). The plant was originally constructed in the early 1950's and purchased by MTSA in 1960 to serve customers in the Town of McCandless and boundaries of Hampton Township and Ross Township located in the Little Pine Creek Watershed. This plant was reconstructed in 1967 to serve future community needs. There are 4 pumping stations servicing the Longvue No.1 System that provides service to a total of 2,205 residents.
The Longvue No. 2 plant is a high rate trickling filter plant with a rated capacity of 100,000 gallons per day. The plant was constructed by a developer in 1952 and purchased by the Authority in 1960. It serves customers in the Town of McCandless and Ross Township located in the upper Girty's Run Watershed. This plant underwent rehabilitation in the fall of 1999. This treatment system provides service to 246 residents. During 2004, a duplex grinder unit pump station was installed on 8130 Manville Drive.
The A & B plant is a conventional activated sludge treatment plant having a 400,000-gallon per day rated capacity. It was constructed in 1962 and serves customers in the Town of McCandless and Hampton Township located in a tributary watershed of Pine Creek. The treatment plant provides service to 620 residents and has one pumping station.
The Pine Creek plant is an activated sludge treatment plant with a rated treatment capacity of 6.0 million gallons per day. This plant, which was constructed between 1973 and 1975, had a rated treatment capacity of 3.0 MGD. It treats sewage from customers in Bradford Woods Borough, the Borough of Franklin Park, Marshall Township, Pine Township, the Town of McCandless and boundaries of Hampton Township. The plant was enlarged and upgraded to the 6.0 MGD in 1991. There are thirteen pumping stations servicing the Pine Creek System that now serves approximately 10,856 residents.
The nineteen pumping stations operated by the Authority have capacities, which range from 50 to 2900 gallons per minute. Four of the pumping stations serve the Longvue No. 1 system, thirteen serve the Pine Creek System, one serves the A & B System, one serves the Lowries Run system and one duplex grinder unit pump station serves the Longvue No. 2 system.